Mushrooms Popping Up In East Texas Yards Are Poisonous to Pets
After a lot of rain over the past weeks in Deep East Texas, we have seen a huge spike in mushroom growth. I didn't have any in my yard, but I did see some in various places around my neighborhood. There are a lot of dogs here, and they could be tempted to eat them. Mushrooms are not harmful to your yard or plants, but certain varieties can be very poisonous to our canine friends.
PetMD.com suggests taking a sample of any mushrooms ingested by your animals.
Symptoms vary greatly depending on the type of mushroom ingested. Category A mushrooms, for example, are the most toxic and cause the destruction of cells, especially liver and kidney cells. Category B and C mushrooms, meanwhile, affect nervous system, and category D mushrooms cause gastrointestinal irritation. The following are some of the more common symptoms associated with mushroom poisoning:
- Abdominal pain
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Uncoordinated movements
- Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
If your dog ingests mushrooms it could be cause for alarm, and a likely thing to happen after all of this wet weather, so take precaution and carefully remove any from your yard. I would suggest picking them up one at a time with a plastic bag, so you don't release spores and cause more the next time it rains.