Thursday an Epic Texas High School Playoff Battle Will Take Place
Through the years, Texas High School Football has seen its share of dynasties. Odessa Permian, Plano, John Tyler, Brownwood, Westlake, Lake Travis, Southlake Carroll, Highland Park and many others come to mind.
When these dynasties face each in the playoffs, it tends to be legendary. Remember the miraculous game between John Tyler had against Plano East? It was billed as the greatest comeback in high school football history...the greatest comeback that never was.
Those in the Pineywoods will certainly recall the 2001 State Championship Game between the Lufkin Panthers and Westlake Chaparrals. Reggie McNeal led the Pack to a come-from-behind 38-24 victory.
This Thursday evening at 7, an epic showdown between two powerhouses will take place at Victoria Memorial Stadium. The Shiner Comanches will do battle against the Refugio Bobcats. Football insiders expect the winner of this game to go on to win the Class 2A, Division 1 state championship - no disrespect intended to the Timpson Bears. (I certainly hope they're wrong)
Let's take a look at why this has all the makings of an historic showdown:
- Boths teams are undefeated with identical 13-0 records.
- Refugio has beaten their opponents this season by an average score of 62-6
- Shiner has beaten their opponents this season by an average score of 48-7
- Last year, Shiner beat Refugio in the regional championship, 24-13
- Shiner won the state championship last year
- In 2019, Refugio beat Shiner in the area championship, 45-43
- In 2019, Refugio won the state championship
- In 2018, Refugio defeated Shiner in the playoffs 56-41
These two teams are very familiar with each other. Either one is capable of winning the state championship this year, however, I believe that Refugio will take down the defending state champs in this game and advance to the state semi-finals to take on Timpson, who I believe will defeat Centerville.
Final score prediction:
Refugio 35 Shiner 27.