Using Wire Brushes for Grill Cleaning Could Lead to E.R. Visit
Can you smell that? Yes, my dear that is the beauty of grilling season. Personally, it's my time to shine. I love time on the grill, I get to try different avenues of cooking something I have made before yet, the flavor is completely different. I just purchased a new pellet grill and my grill game is about to step up a few notches.
One of the very important things to remember when grilling is making sure that your grill stays clean. A dirty grill is a sad grill, but you need to be careful with the tools you use.
I was scrolling through Facebook and was quickly reminded why my father always steered us away from using wire brushes. There is a viral Facebook post that always catches my attention this time of year and I always feel the need to share it again. I think of my unsuspecting nephews and nieces and I have to hit that share button.
Emily Long shared on her Facebook page about a very normal day perfect for a backyard bbq that turned into a very scary E.R. visit. All because of a wired brush used to clean out her grill. She is determined to share her story so it doesn't happen to anyone else.
Her Facebook post said "Three years ago, I took ONE bite of a burger, and immediately felt like I had swallowed glass. I felt a sharp stabbing pain in the back of my throat. The more I swallowed, the more it dug. I started gagging and choking, throwing up, trying to drink water to "wash it down" and still the pain in the back of my throat wouldn't go away. With my son in the bathtub and my husband frantically trying to help, I decided I needed to take a trip to the ER. I could tell it wasn't going anywhere on its own. Once we finally got in, this was the culprit. A wire grill brush bristle was lodged across the back of my throat by both ends."